Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Postpartum Help!
Created On 3/17/06 12:38 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pretty613
Junior Supporter

3/17/06 12:38 AM

Postpartum depression is often felt to be very embarrasing and so women don't talk much about what they are going through. This leaves them suffering in silence. Is there anyone out there that is dealing with it right now?

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/31/06 1:50 AM

Thank g-d not now but I had it after my first child (age 17) and possibly after the other 3 (youngest age 7).

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

teanecktherapist
Junior Supporter

1/24/07 6:08 PM

For New Jersey mothers there are a lot of resources available. A new state law was passed that went into effect in October 2006 - which requires OB/GYN's to educate mothers about postpartum depression and to screen for it - both before and after delivery. Therefore, many hospitals have set up their own screening programs. In addition, there is a state initiation called "Speak Up When You're Down" - which provides information and referrals.. They have a 24/7 hot line: 1-800-328-3838 and their website address is www.njspeakup.gov ( this is funded by the state of new jersey).

Also - there are organizations that provide information online. One of the largest is Postpartum Support International - they provide information and articles on a variety of topics. Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Sarah Schleifer,MSSW,LCSW

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

5/27/07 2:53 PM

Having a hard/down time right now. looking for someone who went thru it or is going thru it now to help me. taking meds, but dont seem to be making a dent. anyone?

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/27/07 5:46 PM

This article just came to my attention, and maybe it will help.

http://www.cjnews.com/viewarticle.asp?id=11840

Hope to hear good news soon.

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

5/28/07 3:05 PM

she felt better taking meds. i dont.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/29/07 1:55 AM

Yes, I guess that everyone's different.

Maybe one upbeat part of the article is that eventually the depression passed (and the first two times it passed without taking medication). Hope things improve with you too, and very quickly.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/1/07 2:13 AM

Been there. It really does get better! I didn't take meds. Have you tried cognitive-behavioral therapy? How old is your baby? Good luck!

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

6/1/07 6:25 PM

what is that therapy? the baby is a year old and his brother is two and a half.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

6/3/07 2:57 PM

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/4/07 1:12 AM

I actually have panic disorder, and it turned into PPD after I had my 3rd child. Cognitive-behavioral therapy was very helpful for me for panic attacks, but I hear it helps with depression too. You kind of learn to not take your emotions so seriously, to look at them more objectively.

What are your symptoms? How are you managing with the kids?

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

6/5/07 12:08 AM

i dont think its even possible not to take emotions seriously, or look at them objectively. they're mine, after all. so far, im managing with the kids - i have the ups and downs. but sometimes, i need to call someone to come over beczuse im afraid to be alone with the kids. sounds pretty bad now that i see it in writing.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/5/07 3:38 PM

Your emotions are yours, but your thoughts are also yours. Why should you take your emotions more seriously than your thoughts? Like, if you feel that your world is about to collapse, but you know rationally that everything is fine and you're doing great (and it sounds like you are), then you can just tell yourself that it's OK to have an irrational feeling, it doesn't mean anything, and it's going to go away eventually.

What are you afraid of when you're alone with the kids?

I was just reading a book called What are You Thinking? about having another child after PPD. (Can you tell what I'm thinking about these days?

Anyway, it said that postpartum depresssion and postpartum psychosis are two completely different illnesses. One doesn't turn into the other. Women with postpartum psychosis might hurt their children. But they also have a number of other symptoms that are quite noticeable. Women with postpartum depression do not hurt their children, and you shouldn't be afraid of that.

Bottom

emjay
Junior Supporter

7/29/07 2:14 PM

my wife has just gone through it and my family gave her alot of support and it did halp alot . i think that family is the best place to go becuse thay know you from before and understand that you dont wanna be that way and you just can't help it

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

7/30/07 7:02 PM

i actually just told my family - after a year and a half. well, not reall, just my husband and mother. sides that no one knows - no friends, no one.

Bottom

emjay
Junior Supporter

7/31/07 9:26 AM

your hosbend did'nt notice any thing for over a year ?

Bottom

EmesorNT
Junior Supporter

8/1/07 12:29 AM

I think he did notice something, but i had two difficult pregnancies back to back right after we got married. I was hooked up to IV the entire time and living by my mother. So, he may have just thought that, I dunno. Never really got a chance to get to know me before it all came crashing down. Now he sez he doesnt want to have kids for another long time. Funny thing is, I actually, want to have another baby. Weird, isnt it? But i get that I have to feel better first, and I'm trying, but the meds dont seem to be heping. I find myself wishing awful things and sometimes, even trying. Guess these things take time, but I feel kinda alone even if he does know, because theres really no way he can understand. I mean, did you really understand your wife? Do you really know what went on inside her during that period, what she thought, felt, or did? I dont think its even possible unless youre going through it right then. And I really wish there was someone out there, like my age (22) that cuz help me out - someone that is unfortunately going through the same thing as me. I did call Anchor, But the people who manage the phone lines are all older and I dont really feel comfortable with it. Anyway, thats long enogh for now.

Bottom

emjay
Junior Supporter

8/1/07 1:36 AM

i dont know how it feels b'h .but i live with it for four years now so even i dont feel i understant and know what it feels like and i got IBS from putting my self so deep into it trying to help my wife the most i could you should know it feels so scared and lonely becuse i looks like everybody you know is looking away. you have no idea how hard it is from the outside trying to help and these moods are pushing away it can be as painful as the illness itself specily because it is nobody's fold, i had wished myself alot of bad things too and b""h i lived trough it just try to keep strong it is not your fold that any of this is hapaning to you ayh by your next baby you'll laught from the past

Bottom

mmksdesk@yahoo.com
Junior Supporter

6/24/08 10:30 PM

There is an organization in our community with the name SPARKS that helps women with Postpartum depression, PMS and all womens issues. I heard very good things about it (they helped one of my relatives) . it's strictly confidential the number is (718) 2- SPARKS

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Post Partum Depression > Post Partum Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.