Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: constipation
Created On 2/6/08 4:17 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

joseph
Junior Supporter

2/6/08 4:17 PM

i have been suffering for a long time with constipation problem i have tried alot of different things which dont seem to help .Does anyone have an remedey ?

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/6/08 5:46 PM

this has been a life-long issue for me.....what have u tried? what has/hasn't worked? i've pretty much done it all.....it might be easier for me to give suggestions once i've heard what you've tried. if you haven't tried anything, that's somewhere to start, too.

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/6/08 5:50 PM

ps--sorry i just re-read what u wrote, and saw that u said u have tried some things. if u dont mind sharing what they were, it might help me give u more/different suggestions. there are many different types of remedies out there, and they work on the digestive system in different ways......i speak from a LONG, PAINFUL experience of trying the wrong kinds of things to treat the wrong problem......ie, if the problem is caused by a mechanical problem, u would need one kind of remedy....if its a dietary problem, a different remedy might work....if its an absorption problem, u might be successful with a third class of remedy.....anyway, let me know what you've tried, and i'll see if i can help.....i know this is a miserable problem!!

Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

joseph
Junior Supporter

2/6/08 6:30 PM

well its a long story it started when i was a 15 yearold teenager so i have been sufering for about 20 years now the first thing i started using was green apples, prune juice, vegetables, fruits, all kinds of fiber, some of dr schults stuff i even had a cloronostopy done to make sure i dont have a blockage ,then it spirraled into hemeroids ,i also took some natural things to put more water in the intestinse etc .....so now my system is pretty loose (except after shabboss) just the stomach muscles are just very lazy

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/7/08 8:52 AM

have you tried miralax or mineral oil? miralax keeps/ draws fluid into your colon to keep things moving (like a fluid bolus). mineral oil is more of a lubricant--if the muscles are weak, but working, it just makes things slide thru more smoothly. be very careful with both to start with the minimum dose and work upward....to much mirilax will cause dehydration, too much mineral oil causes some VERY unpleasant side effects (been there, done that!). if you go to a GI, they can test the muscles to make sure that they DO work (which is important....mine dont:-(
also, be careful with the fiber....don't over-supplement, that can actually do more harm than good! getting fiber from fruits and veggies is fine, but taking too many supplements, or eating too much high-fiber cereals and stuff can actually make constipation worse! (go figure!!)

that's just somewhere to start, off the top of my head.....if those don't work, i have other ideas.....like i said, i've pretty much tried it all......

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/12/08 5:49 PM

i agree with the previous poster. stay away from insoluble fibers; such as whole grains and raw fruits and veggies and dried fruits with sulfites. anything that is meant to be a laxative can actually stimulate more muscle spasms which will make constipation WORSE. for this reason i personally would stay away from mineral oil for now. taking PLAIN stool softener-w/o a laxative- as well as magnesium, can be very,very, very effective. start slow on the mag (take WITHOUT calcium) as too much can lead to loose bowels. also make sure you drink at least at least 8 cups of water a day.

hope this helped.

Edited: 2/12/08 at 5:52 PM by chanieF

Bottom

joseph
Junior Supporter

2/14/08 11:01 AM

I dont get it whats wrong eating whole grains foods I think its # 1 . You must stay away from white flour !!.The stool

softner & mag. are not a laxitive ? Many times i feel like a hard blockage sitting in my stomach & it feels like like it makes

itself compfortable into the lining while my daily food intake just passes in the side of it & that drives me craze because

even if iam loose i dont feel clean .I remember when i took a cloronostopy test (correct my spelling)the docter gave me

the program no eating ..... & to drink that bitter drink ! it broke the blockage and aha i felt so clean that for years i didnt

feel that feeling! i must say this is my real problem nothing should stuck . if anyone has a suggestion please let me

know tizkeh lemitzvoht

Edited: 2/14/08 at 11:27 AM by joseph

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/14/08 12:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with whole grain foods.....I don't think I said there was. What I said was to be careful not to over-SUPPLEMENT. Big difference. The fiber you get from foods (fruits and veggies, MOST whole grain foods) is not likely to cause the problems I was talking about b/c it is balanced with fluids and other nutrients (fats, etc). What I was referring to was the use of "bulk-forming laxatives" (fiber pills, fiber supplements, certain fiber-enhanced foods that have rediculous amts of fiber, such as "fiber-one" cerals, or things like that) that you are using or overusing to try to treat your constipation. I have found that these types of things can create TOO much bulk for weak muscles to handle, causing more harm (and discomfort) than good. Again, i'm talking about supplements, not fruits and veggies and normal whole-grain foods.

Now, I happen to somewhat disagree with the woman who posted above me. mag citrate is a very powerful laxative, and i would never recommend that except as a last resort. stool softeners are also in the laxative category (well, everything we're discussing here, except for the foods, falls somewhere in that category.)....but the key is to start with the most mild, non-stimulant options and see what helps. Over time, your body might become dependent if you use, overuse, or abuse laxatives....you need to find what works "ok".

I am curious about some of your comments regarding what you feel in your body....I suffer a lot of distortions about what I think is going on in my digestive system, vs what is actually possible (related to an eating disorder and trauma)....so, while i actually really relate to what you describe, everything I've been told by my doctors makes me wonder if it's possible. What you describe after prepping for the colonoscopy, that feeling of emptiness, is the feeliing I get after a good purge, but that's not how the body is supposed to be, and its dangerous to be in that state on an ongoing basis. We're not meant to be empty all the time....if we're eating properly and regularly, we're always going to have something inside of us, even people who don't struggle with constipation. That's "normal" (or so i'm told....i have a hard time accepting it, i admit it!!)

In any event, I'm not here to make a judgement or diagnosis about your body. If you are really worried that something is wrong, there are many tests that I went through that could answer your questions. Have you seen a GI? One test I did that might answer your concern about whether you have "stuff" left inside is rather easy--I swallowed a pill with radioactive markers, then went 5 days (with NO bowel management treatments at all) and got an x-ray....that way they could track how long things stayed inside me. There are also many types of gastric emptying studies (something one of my docs wants me to do now) as well as various tests to determine the functioning of various muscles in your intestine. A colonoscopy only takes a picture of what the inside looks like---I actually feel like that really wasn't a very useful test in helping this problem!

Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions!!

Bottom

joseph
Junior Supporter

2/15/08 12:18 AM

well I agree that the colonostopy was just a precaution but it says LEV YODEYA MARAS NAFSHO we know better than the doctors I really belief that its possible to have it stuck in you for many years ! I once read in an article from Dr Schults where he has proven this many time . the intestine is a thick piece of skin it goes up & down with grooves etc. its very easy to lodge itself into a crevice somewhere & once its dry its very difficult to remove it from its home . I think a steady intake of a good oil lubricates the linings so it keeps on sailing I personally get nausea from it the satmar rebbe z"l used to use the restroom for HOURS before davening because he was careful to be CLEAN ALL THE WAY !

Bottom

joseph
Junior Supporter

4/23/08 7:25 AM

Originally posted by: joseph
i have been suffering for a long time with constipation problem i have tried alot of different things which dont seem to help .Does anyone have an remedey ?

Bottom

joseph
Junior Supporter

4/23/08 7:28 AM

Does anyone have some good ideas regarding constipation on pessach besides for eating whole wheat matzoh ?

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

4/23/08 11:19 AM
User is offline View users profile

We eat oranges to balance out the matzo, and keep the matzo to a minimum. Also, drink grape juice, and of course, lots and lots of water.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

Teva18
Junior Supporter

5/31/11 9:02 AM

I am also having this problem - I've taken a bunch of blood tests and my doc doesn't think I have any inflammatory disease to cause my chronic constipation (which has been the case since Pesach). I've avoided dairy products and refined sugars/flours. Prunes have helped a little bit but cause cramping. Not sure what else to do but see a gastroenterologist.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

8/7/14 8:18 PM

Has anyone tried Metamucil. I sometimes drink a few cups a day to produce an effect. I also use Benefiber. Target stores carry both of these in a generic.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gastroenterology > General (Gastroenterology) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.