Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: capsule endoscopy
Created On 11/11/08 9:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bubbs96
Supporter

11/11/08 9:38 PM

anyone ever had one and can describe the procedure, prep, etc to me? I'm expecting to have one later this month...
thanks!

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

11/11/08 10:16 PM

funny u ask now...i was just thinking about it a coupla days ago.
i had one two years ago and it was really not a big deal at all. if u've had 'regular' endo/colonoscopys...this one's a piece of cake.

the prep...
i had mine at a time when i was on tpn (iv nutrition) so my entire gut was already 'clean'. so i'm not sure how the prep goes. i'd imagine, at worst, in involves that yuky fleet stuff like for a colonoscopy prep.

the actual procedure...
basically, i had to swallow the camera-pill (sounds a lot freakier than it actually was. the pill was maybe a drop bigger than the average pentasa pill which i take three times a day...so it's not terrible and definitely humanly doable) with water. then u wear this 'fanny pack' type of thing around your waist which, i think, records the pics that the camera sends it - i imagine via waves? there's no wires sticking out of it...actually...i take that back...maybe they did stick something (kind of like an ekg sticker) on the outside of my stomach area that was attached to the pack?...not 100% sure on that...could be...but it was either a small sticker or nothing attached to me.
then u're free to roam around for however long they want to record (guess it depends what part of your gut they wanna see) when it's done they take the 'fanny pack' and...voila...u're done!!
the camera's supposed to leave your body naturally...i've never found mine though...

after the procedure...
someone's gotta sit and watch the entire thing...however many hours they taped, that's how many hours they needa sit there...so expect to wait a bit for the results!

now for some humor...
when i had mine, the results were strange. i have bad motility issues so, lucky me, on the day of my capsule-endoscopy, my tummy was really acting up. and the capsule just bobbed and bobbed and bobbed around my stomach...till the battery ran out!! it was supposed to last all the way into the last part of my small intestine...but i only got pics of my stomach and the very first part of the si.

wishin u luck! feel free to ask more!

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

11/12/08 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help.....a few more questions (tho some you may not be able to answer, maybe someone else will see this and help me out!)
#1 did you have to stay at the doc's the whole time it was recording, or did u take it home with you and bring it back the next day? (They're trying to see the area at the end of my small intestine, and I also have very slow motility, so we're talking hours and hours, if it happens at all before the battery dies)....I don't know if you've ever had a Holter monitor, it's a 24-hour monitor for ur heart, I'm wondering if this is similar in that they "hook you up" in the doc's office and then send you home: after 24 hours (w the holter) u unhook urself and then bring it back to the office.....???
#2, which I realize you, yaldatova, prob can't answer, but I'm wondering about eating/drinking before and during the test....anyone out there that can answer that for me?

Thanks

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

11/17/08 2:31 PM

I've had plenty of Holters (24 hr, 48 hr...) so I know what you're talking about.

With the camera pill thingy - I was inpatient then so the doc came at 10am to put it on and came back at 6pm to take it off. I didn't ask how it's done outpatient - I'm assuming you'r doing yours outpatient? Now that I think about it, I don't see a reason you'd need to stay there. I wasn't at the docs the entire time - I was in my 'home' then (it was a 6 week admission...) I can totally see it possible that they do it like a holter. But I don't want to say for sure...cuz I'm not!

Sorry I can't answer about the eating part...let me know if/when you find out.

When's your test scheduled?

Edited: 11/17/08 at 2:34 PM by yaldatova613

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gastroenterology > General (Gastroenterology) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.