Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Growth Hormone Injection
Created On 6/8/05 12:16 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Besaiser
Junior Supporter

6/8/05 12:16 AM

Dear Dr. Novogroder ???"? ,

I am the parent of a 15 yrs. and 8 mth old son that is short. He measures 62.75 inches.
I have been prescribed to give him growth hormone injections. I did the bone age x-ray when he was 15 yrs. and 4 mths at that time the bone age was 14.25 years.

I went for a second opinion and the second dr. also agreed that he needs the growth hormone injection, but suggested that he should also take Lupron injection every 4 weeks, so that it should slow down his maturing process.

At this point he is approximately half way through his adolescence, I would like to know what exactly will happen to him if he does take Lupron. Will it only slow down the maturity process, or will it also make his maturity go retroactively, that when he stops taking Lupron he will not be half way through adolescence but he will be at an earlier age, and it will take him longer till he completes maturity?

Another thing that I would like to know is if the Lupron has any effect for later on in the area of fertility?

I sincerely hope that my questions are clear and that it isn't too hard for the Dr. to reply.

Thanking you in advance, the Dr.'s guidance is greatly appreciated.

Bottom

Dr. Novogroder
Doctor

6/8/05 3:19 PM

To begin with, I assume that your child was tested for Growth Hormone deficiency and was found to be low.

Regarding Lupron. This medicine stops puberty but does not reverse whatever has already developed - there just is no further development. Recent studies have shown that if the child is otherwise normal then puberty has returned in all of them once the lupron was stopped. Howeever, the time interval fro puberty to return was variable and can take up to a many months. I assume that your child is otherwise healthy and has a normal MRI scan of the brain. Then, in our experience, puberty has usually returned within 6 months once Lupron is discontinued.

The question about fertility is another issue. Not because ther is a serious concern on our part that there will be a problem but only because Lupron has not been used that long in children so that we have not been able to follow them for a long period of time til they married and had children. Considering that the girls who have received Lupron have resestablished normal periods with ovulation, we assume that there should not be a problem when they will try to conceive. The Lupron medicine itself is similar to a hormone that is normally in the body and we therefore assume that it should not have any adverse effect on the baby.

I hope this answers your questions.

Dr Novogroder

Bottom

hiya
Junior Supporter

12/17/07 1:01 PM

I am confused about the whole idea of growth hormone- It was suggested by more than one doc that i put my 1.5 year old on growth hormone bc of his genetic condition- but if his genetic makeup is to be small , short and so on how much can growth hormone change that

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Dr. Novogroder > Ask the Dr. Novogroder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.