Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: chronic sinusitis
Created On 2/21/05 10:05 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hb
Supporter

2/21/05 10:05 PM

Thank you Dr. Ledereich for answering questions on this forum.
My seven year old child suffers from chronic sinusitis and respiratory infections. We've removed his tonsils, adenoids and done a sinus washing approx. 2 months ago in an attempt to relieve some of the symptoms. He continues to have respiratory issues and chronic sinus infections. we just redid a ct-scan which showed completely blocked sinusus in all areas. My docs (GI, Pulmonary and ENT are pushing us to do sinus surgury. I am wondering if there is anything that can be done in the meantime to relieve his syptoms. Are you familiar with the machine RinoFlow? How effective is it? and is it safe for children?
Thanks,

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

2/26/05 11:37 PM

I went to a symposium sponsered by the
Society of ENT in Children (SENTAC), where
Dr. David Parsons, who was head of ENT in a
hospital in Texas got up and said that at one point
he operated on over 600 childrens sinuses, and noted that
they still suffered from rhinosinusitus after surgery. He then
sent them for allergy workup. When he noted that, he started
sending the children for an allergy workup first before surgery.
Since he started doing that, he only needed to operate on 3 children.

I try my best to not operate on children sinuses. Did you get an allergy evaluation?
With children it is very easy to "overoperate" on them.
Surgery will only correct anatomical problems, and allergy is just a mucous membrane
(nasal lining) problem. Also, in the "differential" GERD can cause sinusitis as well. In a recent
study published in the Archives of Otolaryngology, it was reported that many children
with sinusitis that did not respond to medical therapy, did respond to
treatment of GERD disease (as the sinusitis is an extraesophageal symptom of the GERD).

Only once maximal medical treatment failed, I would consider surgery.

-------------------------
P. S. Ledereich, MD
Family Ear Nose and Throat Care
1033 Clifton Avenue, Suite 204
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: 973 470 8266
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901
Telephone: 845 357 8302

Edited: 2/26/05 at 11:37 PM by P. S. Ledereich, MD

Bottom

hb
Supporter

2/26/05 11:48 PM

Thanks for your response. We have evaluated allergies and all tests have come out negative. My child is post Nissan Fundoplication, which hopefully adresses the GERD, unless he's breaking through the fundo. In case he is intermittently breaking through, we have him on prevacid, domperidone and zantac.
Any other ideas prior to surgery?
Thanks,

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

3/11/05 12:58 AM

Sounds like they hit all the major bases.
It may be reasonable to have the surgery performed.
You may want to get a real second opinion from another ear nose and throat doctor to have some "yishuv hadaas" that the surgery is justified.

Wishing you well, and let us know what happens.

-------------------------
P. S. Ledereich, MD
Family Ear Nose and Throat Care
1033 Clifton Avenue, Suite 204
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: 973 470 8266
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901
Telephone: 845 357 8302

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Ledereich > Ask Dr. Ledereich < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.