Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Nasality
Created On 5/17/05 12:09 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Gam Zeh Yavor
Junior Supporter

5/17/05 12:09 AM

Dear Doctor
My four year old is extremely nasal. The sounds of his horse breathing fills the room all day long and is speach is horribley unclear. I am straining my ears and mind to make out sentences of his gobbled speech and when he gets frusterated because I make him repeat what he said, it only gets worse. My heart goes out for the child and I often cry along with him.
He had an altrasound done which indicated ver mild adanoids and tonsile anlargement, outrulling the two as a possible cause. Inside his nose I can actualy see two red bulbs blocking the pathway. The ENT said there it is a condition called "hypertrophic turbinates" and there isn't anything he can do for it, but according to my pediatrician "hypertrophic turbinates" is only another name for adanoids anlargement.
Either way, I am sure it is allergy related. This child also suffers from sever eczema related to food and enviromental allergies. In addition, I've actually seen those lumps in his nose shrink and grow back a few times, thus making is breathing and speach better and worse again. I'm not usually able to make out what makes a difference, but in two instances it was obvious that being away to a climate with clearer air made a tremendous difference (moving is not an option though).
My son was followed with an ENT, Allergist, Dermotologist, etc. I also tried taking the natural route, I saw quit a number of experts and gave him many different vitamins and remedies. But I am continuing to grape in the dark. I spent a fortune of money, time and effort and I'm not seeing any improvement. Could you give me any advice on this aspect, or at least guide me where to go from here?
Thanks very much

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

5/19/05 8:18 AM

was a laryngoscopy performed? were the adenoids seen? how is his vocal cords?
you are correct that hypertrophic turbinates can cause hyponasal voice, and the
pediatrician in incorrect, that the turbinates and the adenoids are 2 different things.
he could get some speech therapy to help with vocal production. It may be allergy
related, either environmental or food allergies. Another thought is to work up
gastroesophageal reflux disease, which can cause sinus disease as well.
You may want to get a second ENT opinion.

Remember, tefillah works wonders!

Just some ideas, hope this helps. Please give us some follow up.

-------------------------
P. S. Ledereich, MD
Family Ear Nose and Throat Care
1033 Clifton Avenue, Suite 204
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: 973 470 8266
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901
Telephone: 845 357 8302

Bottom

Gam Zeh Yavor
Junior Supporter

5/22/05 2:00 AM

Thanks so much for your response. It has given my allot to look into.
I don't know the name of the procedure that was done or what they saw, only that an ultrasound on his nose concluded the adanoids to be only mildly enlarged, which I was told is normal for small children.
I also checked for Velopharyngeal Insufficiency on a specah therepist's request, which is not the case either.
My son gets speech therapy. In addition to what I've already mentioned, he drools and his tongue is practically falling out of his mouth. According to the therapist, he has very weak mouth and tongue muscle control, but he too sees the nasality and related issues as a major obstacle and he urges me to do all it takes to get to the bottom of it.
I'll be seaking another, in this case a third, opinion and will ask the doctor to test for the other things you mentioned. I'll certainly update you.
Tefillah works, but so far Hashem answered "NO". Perhaps I need to do more Hishtadlus.
Thanks again.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Ledereich > Ask Dr. Ledereich < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.