Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Independence
Created On 7/10/12 1:21 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

toy123
Senior Supporter

7/10/12 1:21 PM

Hi Dr Lynn,

I'm learning how to become more independent, and I feel like I have too much independence that I don't know what to do with it. I was never independent, I always relied on my parents other people and now that I have this independence I'm going crazy. As well I gotta find myself places to be for shabbos because my mother doesn't let me come home every week. I'm really bad at calling up and going to people. I'm too shy and self conscience (I'm very overweight). I don't know what to do. Dr. Lynn or anyone do you have any ideas for me???? I'm desperate!!!!

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/10/12 2:22 PM

what about calling organizations which find shabbos places for people

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/10/12 7:20 PM

if you call the hosts yourself, it may help to tell yourself that you are doing more for them than they are doing for you, because you are giving them a chance to do the mitzva.

this may help to feel more self-confident and motivated when you call them.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/10/12 7:31 PM

Originally posted by: toy123
I'm learning how to become more independent, and I feel like I have too much independence that I don't know what to do with it. I was never independent, I always relied on my parents other people and now that I have this independence I'm going crazy.

when a wound heals, it may still look a bit rough. but it has healed.

it sounds like the new-found independence is a kind of healing, allowing you to find yourself and to function optimally.

adjusting to new independence can take time. but it can be very motivating and encouraging just to know that there is now potential for good things to come.

Edited: 7/10/12 at 7:34 PM by gad

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

7/16/12 5:07 PM

I agree with Gad. Many shuls also have "welcoming committees". Also, independence is a PROCESS. With these things, I think it is important to be patient with yourself.
a lynn

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

7/25/12 3:47 PM

I find that when I or someone has to make a difficult phonecall, it pays to write a "script" first and maybe even practice it in the mirror or with a friend. It's hard in the beginning but it gets easier.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

8/1/12 1:29 PM

Good idea. Thanks.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.