Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Power, Tears and Unity of Mind, Body and Emotion
Created On 7/12/13 3:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

TBear
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 3:37 PM

OK - So today's contemplations have some questions that need to be explored - and a non-Jewish therapist does not have the complete basis to be helpful..... Please give me feedback - if you can find the time....

Power

True power belongs to G-d

Only arrogance tells us we have any power at all, but is that really true?

Powerlessness

A person is unable to wipe away his own tears if his hands are bound

Yet, the person who binds the hands, is he truly in power? Not ultimately

We say daily, "Blessed is the One who releases the bound"

So where is power and are we truly powerless?

We must act - so what is in our power - to serve Hashem of course.

How does that translate into personal assertiveness vs acceptance of our powerlessness and pleading to the One above?

Even then the very abilities we have to serve also come from above....

What is left for us? Choice

To choose today to do our best, all that we are capable of, with what we have been given - that is what you said in a previous post....

To then embrace our powerlessness and the only true power, realizing that the true power remains with our Father, who is also Ribono Shel Olam

So the body can be overpowered - by being bound

Leaving only the mind and feelings to work with untouched, to choose our thoughts and feelings.

When feelings are beyond the ability to handle - only the mind remains, thoughts, values.....

Even then the basis of the mind in the physical realm - that ability is from Hashem, and can also be compromised.....

There is nothing that occurs without Hashem

Tears

So, I am told I must allow myself to cry.... I don't usually.

Why cry if there is no comfort?

Also, I have so much to be thankful for - so many brachos - is this not then crying for nothing or are these two separate issues?

I am told that my tears are not for nothing that I have much to be sad about - that the pain is real.

Sometimes tears come and I don't realize it - and I don't know why

Can't get through the morning Brachos without tears streaming down my face - happens daily

At times I do not even notice they are there

Are they tears of pain or thankfulness or overwhelm or confusion...... am I crying vainly if I do not even know why?

More likely tears of being in awe of the miracle of being allowed to approach Hashem as my Father and the blessing of clinging to Torah

Maybe I cry because Hashem is my comfort... and is there with me to dry my tears when no one else is...

The intensity of drawing close to HaKodesh Baruch Hu is beyond words

The knowledge that I won't be beaten or harmed for my tears anymore - or will I?

The doubt creeps in - it is bad to cry I hear within....

We are told that we cry now because we cried for nothing before....

Am I being ungrateful to cry?

Is it wrong - is it allowed - Oy

I know it is understandable to cry - normal perhaps, but is it right?

Crying is OK when mourning - to cry on Tisha B'Av.....

If my children cry - I comfort them - or try to sympathize first and understand if appropriate second.... hmmm

I still have work to do - to bind the heart mind and body

When I fast - the instant reaction is to disconnect from my body.... is that part of the purpose? to better focus...

Interesting - it takes energy and time to address the toxic traumatic nodes which keep me in pieces

If addressed when stress is high and energy is low, then rather than help - it further damages/ separates

So we have had to stop trauma processing and go to support only so that I can deal with other stressors.....

The power to work toward healing is taken from me for the present - so that I remain functioning and don't lose ground....

Powerless?

Balance - I must take care of the body, and give expression to the feelings, even examine my thoughts - their source....

Reduce stress where possible

Leave the rest to Hashem - the One True Power.....His timing is perfect

So why am I so down? If you have feedback it would be appreciated...

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 4:00 PM
User is offline View users profile

wow!!! im stilll processing what you wrote. really!!! you write everything so perfectly!!!!! like you put some of my confusion into words!! thank you!!!

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 6:07 PM

Wow, you write beautifully!
Hashem is our loving father.
He wants us to be healthy. And healthy includes emotionally healthy.
Sometimes he tests us with a formidable struggle-depression and other mental illness.
And the illness turns on our minds and emotions and twists them out of shape.
And yes, it's all coming from Him.
For our good.
And all we have the power to do is Want to do His will.
Even davening or crying is not always in our control.
Good Shabbos!
May you find Menucha, together with all of us!

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 6:34 PM

Thank you so much for your replies....

I appreciate the validation - feeling pretty down right now - and it really is not helpful to criticize myself for being sad..... only makes matters worse.

Shabbos always provides a respite, there is a refuah in the day.

Hope you both have a wonderful and peaceful Shabbos!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/13/13 10:16 PM
User is offline View users profile

yeah, dont we get enoguh critisism from outward sources? why do we need to always criticise ourselves too!!
thanks. and how was yuor shabbos? I hope it was as good or better than you hoped!

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/14/13 2:22 AM

Very powerful, TBear! I actually think that by attaching ourselves to Hashem we can become infinitely powerful. So in a sense, relinquishing our desire for power and giving ourselves over to Hashem is what gives us power.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

8/29/13 10:49 AM

TBear,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Time has been scarce lately...
I am consistently moved and impressed with your contributions!
How can I say it better than you?
While reading your post, I was reminded of Rav Dessler's section on Free Will in Michtav MeEliyahu. I agree that our "power" is in having an authentic relationship with Hashem and Klal Yisroel, which includes the gamut of emotions, and our choice involves choosing to be an eved Hashem.
a lynn

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

9/1/13 11:14 PM

Thank you Dr. Lynn -

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.