Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Therapist disclosure
Created On 10/29/13 8:22 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sruth1
Junior Supporter

10/29/13 8:22 PM

I met with my therapist today and I mentioned my desire to get off meds as soon as the therapist and psychiatrist feels I am ready. I was never happy with the idea in the first place to start taking them two months ago but did it because I felt like it was the last hope. My therapist voiced his believe that it could be a genetic thing and maybe getting off meds is not an option. When I explained that I wanted to be "normal" and back to myself, he started talking about it is just like any other illness and no one would stop taking meds for other things just because they want to be like everyone else. When I did not agree with him, he disclosed to me that he has been on meds for years and it makes his life more normal. I don't know why but this made me feel uncomfortable. Now I feel like every time I said something I may have insulted him, and I wonder if he is stable enough to be my therapist. Is it typical for therapist to disclose these things about themselves. Should I tell him how uncomfortable it made me. What should I do or should I not do. I don't want to get a new therapist because after five months five months of therapy I am starting to feel more like my old self. Please advise.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

10/29/13 11:24 PM

No one asked me but in my humble opinion I would also feel uncomfortable. also, if this therapist does not realize that disclosing such personal information can make others uncomfortable, i would question their professional judgment. i feel like it puts a burden on you emotionally to know that the therapist has this (or any other personal thing they are dealing with) but that's just me.

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

10/30/13 5:43 AM

Some people feel more comfortable to talk to someone who goes through the same thing and understands what you are going through. Other people feel uncomfortable.
I also somehow expect the therapist to be above all these issues, but only God is above all of this.
Most Psychologists have their issues, their past. You as a client don't know anything about it.
Your therapist point for sure was to make you feel more comfortable with you using meds.
Tell him that you feel uncomfortable and work it out with him.
Good Luck

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

11/3/13 9:42 AM
User is offline View users profile

I agree!! The therapsit is trying to win you over and get you comfortable, but hes trying to hard... tell him whats up before he makes it worse...

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.