Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: When to end therapy
Created On 9/10/13 9:47 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sruth1
Junior Supporter

9/10/13 9:47 PM

After being attacked in February, I started to have panick attacks and become depress. I have been in therapy since june, and on meds for a couple of weeks. For the first time in months I am starting to feel "normal" again. I slept for the first time all night last night, and I only had one panick attack today. I don't want to be in therapy forever, but I don't want to end it and then relapse a couple of days later. How do I know if I am ready to stop.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

9/11/13 2:41 PM

sruth,
B"H you are feeling better.
Have you discussed the topic with your therapist? If not, I recommend you do. If yes, what did your therapist say?
With my clients I do not have a set amount of time I see people- it depends on their presenting problems and goals.
a lynn

Bottom

sruth1
Junior Supporter

9/11/13 7:53 PM

I have nor spoken to him yet. I know this sounds weared but I am scared about what he will say. When I think of ending therapy I start to hyperventilate because I don't know that I am ready to conquer the world alone. But then when I think about continuing with therapy I get upset t myself for not getting over this not being ble functionlike. "Normal" person. I just want to be myself gain and I the that I m letting this effect me. So in short I panick just thinking bout it but relly want to be my old self gain he be done with this.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

9/12/13 10:10 AM

First of all, I think it's a good idea to discuss your feelings about therapy- leaving and staying. Also, it sounds like you have a self judgment about seeing/"needing" a therapist. That might also be worth exploring.
a lynn

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

9/12/13 12:46 PM

I have a question related to this.

Sine psychologists make their living off of the caseload of their patients, how can they be objective when assessing when a person does not need therapy anymore?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

9/12/13 3:43 PM

I think it is a collaboration btwn the therapist and client. If they both agree that the client is still benefiting (should stay in therapy), or has achieved their goals, there is no question, right? The issue becomes relevant if they disagree. If the client feels he is "done", and the therapist does not agree, it usually merits at least a conversation. It could be that a client wants to "run" from painful material. Sometimes therapists are accused of self interest when they make the recommendation for a client to stay in treatment and they ARE looking out for the best interest of the client. Sometimes it is in the best interest of the therapist and NOT the client. I think a good therapist has to make a cheshbon hanefesh and examine possible conflicts of interest. I believe this is true in any service industry or business (medicine, retail, real estate, banking), and not particular to psychology.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.