Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Should I have this operation???
Created On 3/8/06 3:18 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ilovemykids
Junior Supporter

3/8/06 3:18 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hi.....my name is Chana I just joined. I'm so excited to finally find a frum support group. I've had some difficult health problems recently. Besides being BP and having to take a huge recipe of meds, I found out about 2 months ago I have osteopenia and just found out last week that I have degenerative discs in my back...basically similiar to arthritis.I even call myself the shrinking woman.....unfortunately also lost almost 2 inches due to the osteopenia. Oh...and I forgot to mention a MOST interesting occurance as of late I looked in the mirror one night and almost fainted.....believe it or not half of my eyebrows were gone.....I have an appointment with an oncologist next week, I hope he can find them....lol. No, seriously I guess if I didn't laugh at some of this I couldn't stay sane. It's really crazy my cute little 7 yr old daughter is even a little paranoid the eyebrow problem is catchy. Number one we DID get our mazooza's checked and there were some major problems B"H they were fixed.....but my other problem is my weight issue over the 10 yrs I've been married and B"H 3 kinderlach later and 3 caesarians to go along I really am about 80 lbs overweight. I started weight watchers about 7 weeks ago and have lost very little. I know I have a very slow metabolism and haven't been able to excercize much due to a good amount of back pain .I'm seriously thinking about this stomach band operation also to ease the problem with my back as well......this extra weight I know makes it more difficult in terms of pain, etc. It's not such an invasive procedure, but nevertheless it's an operation and has risks......I'd APPRECIATE any insight anyone might have, this is really a tough decision.

-------------------------
B"H for today!

Edited: 3/8/06 at 4:50 PM by ilovemykids

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

5/9/06 2:29 AM

Hi..
I recently made the desicion to do this surgery, I know it has risks, but I've had some surgeries before and I'm always fine.
I'm just not sure that they will do it if you're only 80 lbs overweight. (I know it's a lot for you)

click on This linkto find out your BMI (body Mass Index) anything over 30 is high and over 40 is morbid obesity, mine is 46 and I'm a hundred and twenty pounds overweight, in fact I weigh exactly double the amount I'm supposed to weigh according to my height and age.

another thing you should be aware of is that after the surgery you will not be able to try for more kids for about 2 years.
also you have to go through a bunch of testing before, you have to see a lot of doctors and be very commited to it. insurance is very stingy with paying for this, they need detailed notes from a dr that you've tried other methods and it didn't work.

I'm in the middle of the testing process (I havent even seen the surgeon yet) and it's headaches and frustration, and time and money... but if you're really desperate you might want to go for it..

usually you must have at least one medical condition to qualify for this surgery..
I'm overqualified, I have Diabetes, PCOS, High Cholesterol and sleep apnea..

and e/one told me that if I do the surgery and lose nicely, I'll prob. be able to get off all my meds (a total of 6 different meds each day)

Bottom

stevie
Junior Supporter

12/23/06 4:52 PM

Did you ever go through with the bariatric surgery? I am set to have gastric bypass surgery next month. I've taken all the tests - and my insurance company has approved it. I, too, am about 120 pounds overweight with sleep apnea, high blood pressure, back problems, insulin diabetic and very fatigued. With two little neshamala's to raise - I've deceided to go ahead with this surgery. Any other men or women in the frum community that care to respond - I'd be most appreciative.

Edited: 12/23/06 at 4:53 PM by stevie

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

12/24/06 12:21 PM

Stevie, if you're talkin to me, yes I had the surgery, but not the bypass, I had the gastric banding.

it's very different then the bypass so I'm not sure my advice or surgery history will help you.

We have a lot in common, I'm also diabetic (not insulin dependant though) I also have sleep apnea and also that much overweight.

pm me if you want to talk more.

Bottom

stevie
Junior Supporter

1/4/07 10:54 PM

Yes, I would like to hear about your surgery. How are you doing? When did you have the surgery, etc. My surgeon may have to do the Lap Band. I had open gall bladder surgery some years ago and it could make a difference. Please reply if possible.

stevie

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

1/7/07 4:46 PM

Hi,
sorry it took me so long to respond, I was busy.

I had the surgery in mid August..
The first week after surgery is a little tough.. some pain at the incision sites. e/one is different, most ppl have five incisions, I had 7, not sure why.
its hard to get up and sit down the first week, and I could only sleep on my back. which I never do, it was very uncomfortable but it passed.

also, when they do any surgery under general anesthesia, they put a breathing tube down your throat, in case one should CH"V stop breathing, they should be able to connect to a respirator..

that breathing tube can scratch your uvula ( the little piece hanging in back of the tongue)
Most ppl I spoke to did not have it scratched badly. mine however was and I kept gagging on it.. and the first 2 days I could barely speak bec. I choked every few seconds..

the first week it's very hard to keep a/thing down.. in the hospital they will give you liquids only. then according to your drs instructions, you will slowly go back to eating normal food.. most drs tell you to be on clear liquids the first 2 days, full liquids the next 2 days and then blended/pureed food for 4 weeks.
that results in a nice amount of weight loss (for me it did) and I prob. would have lost more if I would listen to my dr.. bec. I already started eating solid foods after 2 and a half weeks, instead of waiting 4 weeks.
the reason were not supposed to eat solid foods is not bec the band is tight, it's bec. the band has to settle into place w/out any strain on it.. but I did make sure to chew e/thing very well, so by the time I swallowed it it was mush..

a couple of weeks after surgery (5-6 weeks) you will prob. go back for a follow up, and prob. for an adjustment.. after the adjustment you will still be able to eat normal (the first 2 days after adjustment is liquid again and then 2 days after that blended, and then back to reg. diet) but you will feel full much quicker.. then according to how much you can eat you will be adjusted a few times. most ppl are adjusted 3-6 times, depending on how much they can eat.. if you feel too tight, the dr might take out some liquids, if u can still eat too much s/he might add more..

it takes a while to start losing nicely but it really does work.

I had one adjustment (but not a normal one, I switched drs) I had one adjustment with my new dr and since then I feel full quicker..
I have 4 cc's of liquid in the band..

there are 2 sizes bands.. some ppl get a 4 cc band and some get a 10 cc band.
in the 4 cc you can fit in 5 cc's of liquids and in the 10 cc band, you can fit in 11 cc's of liquids.. so depending on which band you will have, the dr will add a little more cc's. for ppl who have a 4 cc band, the dr usually adds not more then 1/2 a cc, for ppl who have a 10 cc like myself, the dr added 4 cc's. I have another appt in a week, and I hope she will put another 1-2 cc's in..

If you overeat after being tightened or if you don't chew your food well enough, you might throw up.. I only threw up once bec. as soon as I feel full I stop eating, it feels really horrible, it's like choking.. it simply dosent fit..

what happens is, that when the dr adds liquid, less food can fit down in the tube at once and it takes much longer for the food to go down.. so if u overeat it does not fit and comes back up.
I lost 19 lbs all together, but most of it was from the first 4 weeks.. now it's starting to go down, slowly, but it's going.. after my next adjustment next week, I'm hoping to lose more and quicker.. since I'll feel full quicker.

nuff said..
every individual is different, it depends on a lot of factors, age, medical history, and e/one has a different experience.
I think I said e/thing.. sorry it's so long and sorry if I was repetetive.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll be glad to answer you.

good luck!

Bottom

momof7
Supporter

2/19/07 10:37 AM

hi. i just read your answer to the lady asking about the lap band. i am not sure where u take your info from, but not trying for another child b4 2 years????? thats a first i ever heard. i am now 4 years post band, lost 60 lbs in the first 6 months, according to my dr. didn't need to lose any more, and then i now had a baby 4 months ago. my baby b4 this one is takeh 7 years old, but not bec i didn't want or wasn't allowed to. it simply didn't happen. thats the reason i had the surgery in the first place. i always kept on giving the reason about not losing weight, bec i wanted more. then after my 6th, i just didn.t get preg. for no obvious or hidden reason. then when my baby was 3 years old, i decided i rather be skinny then hope that it will happen and it did. all u have to wait, is 3-6 months. so pls don't give false info unless u know for sure.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/21/07 9:20 AM

I had gastric bypass Nov 28,2005. Best decision medically I ever made. First, my BP was out of control Now under control. Next I have PCOS. Still no more kiddies (I have twins), but that not so important to me. You can have kids about 1.5 - 2 yrs after surgery though. Next I look and feel better about myself. Still have body image prob. (I still see a fatso in the mirrror) but that normal for lots of ppl. Must do some soul searching though before surgery. Why do you eat and do you have a serious ED. I did have a serious ED -- bulimia and over eating.) It didn't cure either and starting to relapse so dealing with those issues now (I gained 10 lbs and freaking out now rather than 20 lbs later.) The risks of the surgery outweigh the risks of severe obesity. I was 296 the day of surgery. Now I'm 183. Still overweight but as my doc said to me "Its the first time I ever took someone off BP meds cuz low BP." I also have high triglycrides which will always be medicated as once you go off the meds for that it returns (I take Niaspan.) You also need to realize that you need to make life changes for example excercize every morning and no trips to dunkin donuts and no eating everything on plate just cuz that way you were told when grew up. dunno what else to say.

BTW, gastric banding has higher incidence of complications in long term and gastric bypass has higher incidence of complications in short term. my regular doc recommended gastric bypass cuz better only short term complications. For me the only complication was severe lactose intolerance (I either faint or throw up) which has gotten less sever over time. Now I can have anything with milk, just not plain milk. Also can't have anything except skim or 1% milk (which is only kind you should be drinking anyway.)

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

momof7
Supporter

10/21/07 2:46 PM

Not sure what long term complications u r talking about. I am now 5 years post and b'h doing better than ever. Hope this doesn't change later, though.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 11:38 AM

my doctor told me that with lap bad surgery very often the band can either wear down and need replacement or slip which is supposed to be very bad. i don't have to worry about that. also, u have to keep going back to doctor to adjust the lap band. i think that is a pain in the neck.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

momof7
Supporter

1/7/09 12:29 AM

update to my previous post here. I am now 5 and a half months after my second baby post lapband, b'h. So I would say, no problem in that area b'h. BTW, last time I opened it for pregnancy, where as this time I didn't. Last time I gained 60 lbs, and this time 8. And I was so much happier. And my babies, they were the same weight at birth. Only, I got back into shape right away, and last time, took me a lonnnng time.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Surgery > Bariatric < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.