Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: judges in supreme court
Created On 11/9/06 12:09 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

div01
Junior Supporter

11/9/06 12:09 AM

Does anyone have any info on the three judges, Pruss, Sunshine, Krauss ?
Have you had a case before any of the judges and what are your impressions of him/her?
I have a case pending and any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Bottom

Mom
Junior Supporter

12/5/06 12:06 PM

I have seen all three Judges in Brooklyn. They have different styles but all appear to be fair. They all have the same expectations. They want both lawyers to be prepared and expect that you have spoken with your lawyer about every issue before you get into the court room. They also expect everyone to be on time (even though you may have to wait). They expect you to obey all their orders. And they expect you to be respectful, to each side and to the Court. They are all very experienced and can see through any dishonesty and games. If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer.

Bottom

byisroel
Junior Supporter

12/14/06 11:02 AM

Do you know how the judges (Brooklyn or otherwise) enforce or deal with the Get law, if the husband is withholding the Get for financial gain? Do the judges act in agreement to the Get law or do they have individual opinions and ways of dealing with the matter?

Edited: 12/14/06 at 11:51 AM by byisroel

Bottom

byisroel
Junior Supporter

12/14/06 4:03 PM

Has anyone experienced going the route of court to obtain a Get without going to Bais Din first?

Bottom

momof4
Junior Supporter

12/18/06 10:01 PM

I've been before Krauss,(Sunshine was away that day in the summer) whew shes tough. I know pruss personally,as far as being a judge he knows what he's doing. He is not as experienced as Sunshine though. I am now before Sunshine in a trial and he is all about fair. The lawyers have to know what there doing and cannot play games. He also hates gloating. Especially the plaintiff and defendant. Judge Sunshine can see through everyone. He was a divorce lawyer for 25 yrs before becoming a divorce judge. He knows everyones stories from both sides. If he has to yell he YELLS! Everyone in the room cringes. He expects respect and if he doen't get it YOU will know it. He is honest and truthful and is all for a GET. He doesn't feel the man should withhold it from the wife. Hope these answered some of your questions. In my opinion, pray you do not get Krauss.

Bottom

smilingmom
Junior Supporter

12/24/06 8:24 PM

In NY State, the plaintiff, that is the person who sues for divorce, has to remove any barriers to their spouses remarriage. So the Get Law only comes into play if the husband is the plaintiff. Most men are therefore advised by their Rav to go to Family Court if they want any reliefs, and let the wife file for divorce, so they Get Law does not effect them.
Halachically speaking, if a Judge forces a husband to give a Get, the Get's validity is questionable.
I have seen Judges award a very high alimony amount for the wife in cases where the husband is recalcitrant and that usually works, but if there is no money the situation is very difficult.
In general, I would advice anyone to go to a Bais Din for both a Get and all the financial and custody matters. You have to understand that as good as any judge might be, their values and therefore their decisions are not based on Jewish values. Also, there may be many problems with the Batei Dinim, but it is nothing compared to the judicial system, which has always been and continues to be a literal cess pool, mostly because of the lawyers. They are there to make sure that you pay their kids college education and have absolutely no interest in your or your childrens welfare.

Bottom

qwerty
Supporter

12/24/06 10:15 PM

Excuse my borrowing your language, above poster, but my personal experience tells me the cesspools are not a phenomenon reserved for the courts......ahem.. I'd love to hear from others who have had a positive experience in the Bais Din, so that I may change my impressions of them.....

Bottom

Ban Ish Chi
Junior Supporter

1/26/07 11:51 AM

Judge Sunshine was a law secretary till ’95 than he became a family lawyer, a few years later he became a matrimonial judge in Staten Island and in ’03 he became judge in Brooklyn.

Bottom

smilingmom
Junior Supporter

1/28/07 7:21 AM

Brooklyn now has a fourth matrimonial judge, Judge Delores Thomas. She was a Civil Court Judge previously. This should cut down on the congestion and waiting time. She has a reputation of being bright but it's too soon to see how she will do in matrimonial.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Private Groups > M.A.R.CH -- Mothers Alone Raising Children < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.