Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: My first grader has a hard time socially
Created On 1/18/07 4:40 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Belly
Supporter

1/18/07 4:40 PM

I'm so down right now. I just talked to my daughter's teacher. My daughter has been complaining for weeks about headaches. She loves going to school, but her teacher said that she can't find her place right now. I'm so sad. I wish she had good friends. I wish she would feel more confident. She told her teacher that she thinks she is not good enogh in Math. They just had a test and the only question she go wrong was about something they didn't learn yet! Why does she think so lowley about herself? Is she turning out to be like me!?!?!?! I look at her. She is such an amazing kid. She has her whole life infront of her. She has loving and caring parents. Why does she have to suffer like this. What am I doing wrong? Boy she is so sensitive! I'm scared one day she will suffer from depression just like me.
I'm crying my head off.
Belly

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

1/18/07 5:19 PM
User is offline View users profile

{{{{Belly}}}} Hugs to you.

I don't think first grade is a time when depression can be seen yet, but she obviously has high expectations of herself. I am sure you keep telling her how special and smart she is. Talk to her, ask her why she feels she has to be perfect. Missing one question is not a bad thing.

If you are concerned, maybe look into some child or family therapy and ensure that she has someone she can talk to, besides her parents. Loving as they are, sometimes kids prefer to speak to a stranger.

I'm sure she's just fine.

Good luck.

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

1/27/07 10:55 PM

I have learned that the best way to praise someone is by pointing out some particular thing they did or a particular trait they have. For example: I really liked that you used so many colors on this picture, it's so colorful! is better and more believable than, what a gorgeous picture because then the child can so, no it's not, I made this mistake. Or, you let your sister go first, that shows you have a good heart, as opposed to, you're such a great kid because then the kid is thinking, no I'm not, yesterday I hit my sister.
If you are finding it hard to deal with the situation, maybe the school has a guidance counselor you can consult or who can give you further referrals.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/27/07 11:54 PM

I once heard an expression: "I'm an old man with many worries, most of which never happened."

Kids often have ups and downs in school; it's often just a matter of dealing with each situation as it comes, talking to the experts, and deciding what to do.

Also, do you play with your daughter every day? This gives a lot of warmth, bonding, and love, and strengthens her feelings of security and self worth.

Hope things improve. A gut voch.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Child Behavioral Issues > Child Behavioral Issues < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.