Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: What is it???
Created On 3/29/09 4:29 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

3/29/09 4:29 AM
User is offline View users profile

My son, who we originally thought had ADD/ADHD, still has yet to be diagnosed with anything. We are going to be going to a developmental pediatrician in a few days. I'm assuming if there is a diagnosis, the doc will come up with one after doing some tests and stuff. However, will this also cover stuff such as the possibility of clinical depression mixed with very mild asperger's? ( a very real possibility according to his teachers at this point) Do I still need to go to a psychiatrist for an evaluation or will this aspect be covered? Any other ideas of how to get a diagnosis when most likely there is more than one thing playing out? I'm so confused. You'd think I work in the special ed system I'd know how to obtain a decent diagnosis, but I'm all thumbs and burnt out and I'm beginning to see where other parents begin fall to peices.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

3/29/09 9:41 AM

>I'm beginning to see where other parents begin fall to peices.
I think you have gotten through worse situations I'm sure you will get through this one too.
Good Luck,
Aba

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

3/29/09 11:01 AM

I don't know for sure, but Im pretty sure that if the developmental pediatrician can't give you a definitive diagnosis, you can get a referral to the right place. it sounds like he would be the right source, though.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

4/3/09 4:42 AM

Ok so now I'm told it's Asperger's but the social worker who works with him on a weekly basis swears there is something wrong with his perception and that he is most likely psychotic too. I really really really don't think this is the case. I think he is having too much of a good time at the social worker's expense (or is it his???) Either way, I'm pretty sure medication is NOT the answer in this case as his ability to report his range of emotions is very very very limited as was seen during the exam with the developmental pediatrician. I am concerned antidepressants and such will have an adverse affect on him (like it does with me) and create more problems rather than solve them. I think, in fact, I'm almost positive, the best approach to solving the problems he is having is through social skills classes and such. However, I'm being pressured to have him medicated and i'm justnot convinced it's the way to go. Any ideas anyone???

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

4/3/09 5:30 PM

Perhaps you can get a second opinion.

Bottom

Supporter

4/3/09 5:47 PM

How is your home life? A disciplined, loving home is essential for your son's mental health. Good for you for resisting medication--try exercise, social/behavioral skills, (D. Samet is excellent, so is Chaim Neuhoff of Eitzah), art, karate, home-schooling...whatever he is interested in or that you think your child needs to help him become healthy.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Child Behavioral Issues > Child Behavioral Issues < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.