Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: meds side effect
Created On 8/28/15 1:23 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Amalowi15
Junior Supporter

8/28/15 1:23 AM

Can meds like effexor,prozac,paxil cause pain that mimic myo fascia pain syndrome and may be of neurological origin.I have had dry needling treatment of trigger points for my myo fascia pain and it has not worked.The trigger point therapist said that the fact that it has not worked means that there is something else going on and the pain may not be from the trigger points.She suggested that it may be from the antidepressants that I have been on since I am young and the pain did start when I was younger.Is this possible and how would I research this job.If they are the source of the pain is it permanent neurological damage or would the pain go away if I would come off of the meds.Thank you

-------------------------
ari malowitzky

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

8/28/15 9:31 AM

Pain should go away if from the meds. Cymbalta is similar to those and also helpful for pain syndromes. Discuss with your doctor. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

11/10/15 4:37 PM

I'm new here and have no idea how to use this site. Want to ask Dr. Price something - how do I do that? Can I write here? My question is - how long do Xanax withdrawal symptoms usually last?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/11/15 3:18 AM

Depends on dose and frequency you took. Let me know more details.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

11/16/15 3:35 PM

Thank you.
I was taking it for a year on and off on low doses, .25, .5, only at night for sleeping. But was not consistent; tried falling asleep without it when i was able to (like when had no work the next day). 2 weeks before symptoms started the Xanax wasn't working so i went up to 1.12 mg. Started consistently too according to my therapist's advice (got this from my PCP). Started getting out of body sensation and extreme misery, cognitive impairment, so i went down immediately to .5. The next night before taking had waves of dizziness and shaking, so took .5 again. The next day .25, the next day again .25, and then went off completely.
Worst thing i ever went through.
Unpredictable waves of depersonalization and cognitive dysfunction. Also lower impulse control, no concentration, memory, extreme panic and depression attacks that were chemical because i never had that so bad before.
During that time i overcontacted my therapist, who promptly punished me - gave me a vacation of 2 weeks from therapy - when i needed support desperately. So this abandonment added to my distress.
it is now over 3 weeks since the beginning of this dysregulation. I am feeling much better but still have some times when i feel mindless and a bit depersonalized. Want to know if this is the meds still or me - bec of what I'm going through with my therapist.
Thank you!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/17/15 1:57 AM

After 3 weeks of being off Xanax, you should be fully out of withdrawal but there can still be painful memories/sensations of the withdrawal which occurred previously.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

11/18/15 3:23 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm not clear with the answer. Does that mean that any symptoms i experience now are unrelated to the actual medication?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/18/15 3:25 PM

Right

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

11/18/15 3:25 PM

Okay. Thanks!

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

12/16/15 3:58 PM

Dr. Price, I am still experiencing severe symptoms - 8 weeks later - symptoms i never had before in my life and only appeared after going up in dose Xanax and then getting off it. My symptoms match all those i found online for Xanax side effects. Cognitive, emotional, and physical - things i never experienced before. Is there a rare possibility of a person's body expressing those symptoms after getting off Xanax, if I am incredibly sensitive? Is there someone who would know I could ask? I am suffering incredibly. I have started taking 300 mg L-Theanine daily and i see a huge improvement in symptoms - both cognitively and emotionally - but am afraid to make these experiments on my own especially because i see i am an unusual case and react to things differently than the norm (in the past I've had extreme reactions to any psychiatric or even sleeping med but never this long). But still having trouble and have no medical professional guiding me (2 doctors do not believe me this is from Xanax, but when i visited them was unable to express my symptoms properly due to withdrawal). Is the L-Theanine safe for me? Will it prolong my withdrawal? What will happen next? What can i expect over the next few months, years? I'm afraid.
Currently having different symptoms daily, sometimes hourly. Having trouble with identity and remembering who i was before withdrawal, trouble seeing past and future and how my actions affect the future, weight loss (had weight loss while on Xanax but now even more, sometimes less urinating than usual, thirstier than usual, less appetite, out of body. Before i started Theanine I had severe anxiety, panic for things that don't make sense and that i never used to panic about. Apathy. Alzheimer-like symptoms; not being able to express myself, trouble giving my location to a car service dispatcher, less inhibition than usual (saying things I'd never say, uncontrollable texting urges even at work where i never do this), physical weakness - hard for me to move, walk, talk. Trouble hearing (every day something else, or every few days something else, completely unpredictable).
What is happening to me? Is this safe? Who do i speak to? Will I get my mind back?
Thank you.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

12/16/15 4:12 PM

May be unusual xanax withdrawal or another source you can discuss with doctor. Either way, these things are usually reversible. If theanine helps, that may be a safe alternative for you. Must consult with doctor who knows your case. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

12/16/15 4:27 PM

I don't have a doctor who believes me - they think i just suddenly lost my mind (I was actually more successful than ever in my personal life before this started, though i do suspect the Xanax, while i was on it, made me depressed. Looking back, after reading online, think i also had what they call interdose symptoms between doses). Can i keep taking Theanine, lowering the dose as time passes? Am i safe, will i become me one day? I am very afraid because have no guidance.
Also, took this Xanax originally for sleeping - couldn't fall asleep because was anxious (no panic attacks). Now feeling sicker than ever felt in my life. Before Theanine was in agony almost every day.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

12/16/15 4:43 PM

Try to explain to your doctor or locate another who can work with you during this difficult time.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

1/20/16 2:41 PM

B'H, B'H I am seeing great improvement in my condition. I still feel disconnected from myself and strange, identity confusion, mood eruptions, little sense of hunger/satiation/appetite, lots of cognitive problems, feel my life is totally on hold because me is absent. E/t unpredictable. But am way, way better than before - B'H. I hope by the six month mark i will be more like myself. By a year and a half I hope i will be like myself. It seems my body/metabolism is unusual and i reacted to a low dose over a long time like others react to high doses. My PCP finally agrees this is withdrawal. I am so grateful I am doing better, B'H.

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

1/18/17 5:05 PM

I am a year and three months off Xanax and still experiencing many of my symptoms. I have discovered that there are many ppl out there with protracted withdrawals from benzos like mine and doctors are not aware of this condition. Please research, Professor Heather Ashton's site and many others talk about it. Psychology Today has written about it, many research articles.
My life was stolen from me; I am no longer the same person I once was. My personality is still not my own. I've lost money, relationships, my dignity, my functioning to a low dose of Xanax. I don't believe what happened to me. I have never suffered so much, for so long, in my life.

Bottom

Nony
Junior Supporter

1/18/17 5:08 PM

Also, I have found 1 (out of 10 top doctors I asked!) who knows about my condition. Dr. J. Nissenfeld. I cannot believe that professionals are not aware of the horror that benzos can cause. I used to be a regular, functioning person with minor problems. Now I am not functioning at all.

Bottom

rose2
Junior Supporter

1/23/17 9:52 AM

Nony
My deepest sympathy. What you went through is truly horrific and should be prevented. Do you have a doctor or therapist you are currently working with?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.