Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Getting Off Meds
Created On 5/19/16 9:37 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 9:37 AM

What's the big deal in being on meds? Why does my therapist push me to get off it? I've been on lamictal for almost 2 years and basicly doing fine. I have no drive to get off. I'm doing fine with it and I don't see why i shouldn't just continue taking it

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 9:51 AM

Depends why you are taking it. If for a chronic condition like Bipolar which may recur without it, then it may make sense to continue for maintenance. Have therapist discuss with your prescriber. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 10:01 AM

I am taking it for bipolar. My doctor agrees that i can wean off it, but my question is that i don't see the point. Why should i even try to get off it? At this point i only see positive in taking meds, why get off it even if i can go on with life without it

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 10:03 AM

Getting off the meds would require work on my end, vitamins, excersize etc. why go for it?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 10:04 AM

Personal preference. Why take if your doctor says you do not need?

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 10:05 AM

Now I understand.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 10:29 AM

So can you clarify? what should push me to get off the meds? am i missing something? i see most people would go to extremes to get off it, but i am not interested, This makes me think that maybe there is something about the medication i am not aware of and that's what i want to know. Do you push your patients to get off the meds? and if yes ,why?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 10:32 AM

No pushing. Personal preference.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 10:33 AM

but you do recommend it. no? why would one prefer it? am i missing something? what's the downside of the medication

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 10:36 AM

Taking something that you do not need is why most people would say they would not take it. The effort that may be involved in functioning off of it would be a reason for continuing it. There may not be a downside in taking it if no side effects.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 10:44 AM

You make it sound so simple, i wonder if it really is. people invest ALOT of effort to get off it even though it has no side effects.
and oh yes one reason for getting off it may be the $300 bill i get every time i visit my psychiatrist.
I actually was always wondering why most psychiatrists don't take insurance What's the reason behind it?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 10:54 AM

Insurance does not reimburse much per visit so the visits through insurance tend to be very brief. There is also a nationwide shortage of psychiatrists now as many are retiring and few American trained medical students are opting to enter the field sufficient to meet the mental health epidemic going on.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 11:02 AM

Thanks- it's really special of you to give your time for this site. I originally thought you were doing it to promote your practice, but from what i've read it seems quite the contrary. I____________________________________________. I don't know what your motive is, but continue helping people and Hashem shall repay you for your avoidas hakodash

Edited: 5/19/16 at 11:27 AM by yoichy

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 11:07 AM

Motive is to help people. (I know Moti Weinberger)

Be well,

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 11:14 AM

lol! so you figured out whom i am referring to
yes I'll believe you that you're trying to help people, I love the way you don't push anyone to get onto meds. and actually encourage alternatives. I HATE it when people are not honest. i don't hold it against anyone if the wanna promote their business but don't deny it please.
(Actually relief has referred me to you originally, but it didn't work out because of the travel. I'm happy with my local doctor and it's great to actually have gotten your advice without the travel)

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 11:26 AM

Edited: 5/19/16 at 11:34 AM by yoichy

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 11:30 AM

I am not tech savy. Please ask admin of the site to assist with the deletion.

Thanks,

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/19/16 11:33 AM

it's okay, i deleted my comment
thanks anyways( and i wouldn't believe it on you that your not tech savvy, didn't you create your websites on your own?)

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/16 11:41 AM

No. I had help from teenagers.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/23/16 10:12 AM

What's the average dose of lamictal? is 100 considered high or low

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/25/16 11:57 PM

Very low 25mg. Very high 500mg. 100mg is toward the low end. Sorry for the delay. Was in the Grand Canyon hiking South rim to North rim (13 hours). Happy to be back.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

yoichy
Junior Supporter

5/30/16 1:00 PM

did you ever have any experience with anybody getting off the medication and never needing it again?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/30/16 5:13 PM

Yes.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.