Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Is everybody diagnosable?
Created On 2/18/16 8:03 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

rose2
Junior Supporter

2/18/16 8:03 AM

I was just wondering,is everybody suffering from some kind of mental illness? seems to me that i would probably been diagnosed with ADD if i would come to you. but i really function great and actually like the ADD component.so i was just wondering if every person seeing a psychiatrist gets diagnosed with something. while millions of people may go through life never knowing about it

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/18/16 9:29 AM

Excellent question. According to the new DSM book of Psychiatric Diagnosis, 80 percent of people will be diagnosed with some kind of disorder at some point in their lifetime which is utterly ridiculous. Attention Deficit (not the Disorder) has many benefits including creativity, the ability to hyper-focus, spontaneity and many others. Some very successful people have Attention Deficit, such as the founder of Jet Blue, who credits it for contributing to his success. We are for sure over-diagnosing and over-treating people instead of simply learning how to live better lives. To qualify for a "disorder," the condition has to interfere with functioning.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

rose2
Junior Supporter

2/18/16 7:35 PM

what's the fine line for interfering with every day functioning? some people are more of a perfectionist nature and will be bothered by the slightest while others can happily go through life not caring if they are not living life to its fullest. basically what some call simple mood things others would feel it isa disorder and it must be treated

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/18/16 7:49 PM

Correct. The lack of functioning is subjective, depending on the person, but could also
Be objective if people around the person are suffering because of them.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

rose2
Junior Supporter

2/18/16 8:17 PM

so if a person is a perfectionist is the solution to go on medication or work on the perfectionism?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/19/16 5:05 AM

Ideally to work on reducing the perfectionism so that there is no need for medication.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
Www.Rabbi.com

Bottom

rose2
Junior Supporter

2/19/16 8:03 AM

oh wow I just wish everyone would share this belief.It seems to me that when visiting a psychiatrist the only focus is finding the diagnosis and treating it.
anyways thanks for your time appreciate it

Bottom

rose2
Junior Supporter

5/4/16 10:59 AM

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.