Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: delayed gastric emptying
Created On 3/23/08 10:13 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

shaulismom
Junior Supporter

3/23/08 10:13 PM

i posted a whole megillah in the motility disorder section which was in the gerd section.i wonder if anyone out there has heard or this delayed thing.my 2 yr old was dx w/it at 10.5months,was vomiting constantly from the age of 9months.he was hospitalized for 2 weeks in which many tests were run on him(not easy)and in the end this is what they said. since then he was also dx w/cyclical vomiting,as he tends to be ok for a certain amount of time and then regresses and vomits everything for a week or so.he has gerd and is on prevacid,also erythromycin to speed up motility, and zofran for nausea.did anyone ever hear of someone that was cured from this delay?the drs say since he was B"H born healthy(not w/emptying problem)that it will eventually go away on its own.this is very hard to live with as he is always needing to be fed and is taking alot of medicine.did anyone ever hear if someone got better from delayed gastric emptying?any adults out there with it?can you tell me what its like?he cant really talk so well so i always woner if hes nauseous or in pain.....i will stop rambling on...any comments are appreciated...thanx

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

3/24/08 7:26 AM

I'm seeing a GI on thursday because my doc and nutritionist think that I have this, too....I have had bad GERD for years, but its getting to a point that even water is coming back up, food I ate the day before doesn't seem to digest, I'm in terrible stomach pain.....do you mind telling me what kind of testing they did on your son? I already take Protonix and Pepcid for GERD, they don't seem to help much, as I'm still popping TUMS throughout the day....I'm hoping there's a more effective treatment bc right now I'm living off liquid supplements and even that hurts.....my mother had gastroparesis and had to go on a feeding tube for a year when it got really bad....anyway, i'll keep you updated. all the best and refuah shleimah for your son!

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

3/26/08 11:11 PM

shaulismom:
i don't know how crazy this sounds, but have you tried a good (nondairy, w/o added carbs) probiotic to address some of these symptoms?

Bottom

shaulismom
Junior Supporter

3/27/08 2:14 PM

we did a cat scan of his brain,2 endoscopys,x-rays,but the test that clinched it all was the gastric emptying study in which he had to drink formula with radioactive dye and we strapped him down(not easy for us or him)and watched him under 2 cameras for 1hour and abit to see how long it took the formula to go down.it was amiracle he didnt throw it up-he only drank one ounce and at that point we had been at the hospital for 5 days and he was vomiting every single ounce he took.if he didnt keep it down,we wouldnt have known what he had!
my son takes 3o mg of prevacid(hes 2! thats an adult dose)and we treat the gastroparesis with erythrmycin-once in a while we switch to domperidone but it doesnt really work on him.he also takes zofran as of his last addmission in dec.i think he was always nauseous till we started the zofran and i am NOT taking him off that drug yet!
it sounds like you are familiar w/this as you said your mother had it too.is it hereditary?and you mentioned you were in pain-my son wasnt in pain,i believe he was very nauseous(he couldnt really tell me)but i see a tremendous difference in his temperment with the zofran.i am familiar w/zofran as i take it when im pregnant to help with the nausea and it really is a miracle drug!
best wishes,i hope my rambling helped you out,keep in touch

Bottom

shaulismom
Junior Supporter

3/27/08 2:18 PM

we tried probioticts briefly before our admission to the hosp last year which was when we were able to diagnose him.honestly he was so sick and vomiting so terriblt that i didnt really try it so seriously.i havent heard that there is anything that can treat this gastroparesis besides fotr the drugs he takes.its so hard to get him to take those taht i wouldnt even try to get him to swallow something else unless i was possitive it works.if you hear of anything id love to hear it too.thanx,keep intouch

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease > GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.