Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: IBS
Created On 2/6/05 1:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

iSufferAndTry
Junior Supporter

2/6/05 1:53 PM

I was told by my doc that i may be suffering from ibs, (Iritable Bowel Syndrome) anyone here knows more about this? i had it much worse in the summer , its improving but its still not 100% ok.

Bottom

username
Junior Supporter

2/7/05 12:39 AM

Ive been diagnosed with IBS for about 8 years now. IBS is indicated for people with various otherwise undiagnosable gastroenterological symptoms. Im currently taking dicyclomine, your doctor may prescribe something different depending on what your symtoms are.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/7/05 1:00 PM

Hey isufferandtry,
that's what I have too!

Bottom

iSufferAndTry
Junior Supporter

2/8/05 1:49 PM

Thanks for both of your reply's

Bottom

emmapeel
Junior Supporter

2/12/05 6:37 PM

www.helpforibs.com has a good mind toward help for ibs. good luck!

Bottom

bubbex2
Junior Supporter

2/13/05 9:51 AM

I have had IBS all my life. I 'm not a doctor, but I can try to answer your questions. So far, I've not had anything that helps. I know that's not very reassuring, but it's reality!

Bottom

helpless mom
Junior Supporter

2/23/05 10:37 PM

I have suffered from stomach issues for many years and have seen various GI's recieving multiple diagnoses. What i have learned, is that IBS is the garbage can for any unexplained stomach issues. There are various kinds of IBS and each kind must be treated differently. As with any ailment, there is no one medication that works for everyone. It is a matter of finding the right one that works with your body and deals with your specific symptoms. Stress certainly aggravates IBS, but hey, you find me a jewish mother without stress! Godd luck and keep us all posted.....

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

3/1/05 11:01 PM

there's an EXCELLENT IBS diet by heather van vorous-her books are worth reading, and you can pretty much get all the info you need about the diet online. it is not a crazy diet that is impossible to adhere to. as she explains, it's not just what you eat, but how you eat.

however, it is true that many are misdiagnosed. especially in women, where it is usually a misdiagnosis for endometriosis. in this case, fully removing the endo and/or adhesions should resolve the ibs-like symptoms. (however, an ibs diet would still be beneficial)

Bottom

AskADoctor
Junior Supporter

3/8/05 3:46 AM

I suffered with IBS for 8 years. Diets, 'natural pills', chiropractors, prescriptions wont do the trick for most patients but there is hope... scientifically backed hope...

A [very basic] background:
IBS is categorized as a "Functional Bowel Disorder". Often it is referred to as a "brain-gut" disease, meaning it's part "physical" and part "mental." (aka "psycho-somatic") ***Don't worry: IBS is not just in your head. You're not crazy...it is a real and physical discomfort... However, a major part of successful treatment is being able to manage and control your brain's reactions to symptoms and sensitivities.

IBS works in a cycle: you have a real pain, your nerves (IBS patients’ nerves are more sensitive in the GI tract than non-IBS folks) react strongly, your brain translates the pain, reacts in a stress pattern, and your stomach reacts to the stress causing more pain! The cycle continues.

Thus... It's important to treat the psychological aspects - and most GI doctors don't know to help you with this. They'll write you a prescription and send you on your way... but you're missing half the treatment! Studies have shown repeatedly that Cognitive Behavioral Therapies (6 weeks of treatment or less!) help you achieve control over your pain (right now I'm sure it feels IBS is controlling you!) and decrease your symptoms drastically.

Why haven't you read or heard about this? Unfortunately, the research is fairly new & most people (including most Gastroenterologists) aren't up-to-date on their IBS info. Diets and routines you'll find through Google may work for individuals, but they have little scientific credibility. [Note of caution: Most 'ibs diets' are shams - someone trying to sell you an "e-book" online. There is *no* substantial data to suggest any diet will affect IBS. That being said: things that upset most people's stomachs can have a strong affect on your system. Avoiding highly processed foods, corn syrup, dairy if you're lactose intolerant (get tested!), spicy dishes, and oily foods, etc... will keep the frequency of pain down a great deal - and it's the healthy way to go even w/o IBS] Getting good fiber helps patients as well. Ask your doctor and make sure to use a fiber that doesn't promote gas, such as Citrucel tablets.

So WHO can you turn to for help?

Researches at the University of North Carolina's "Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders", led by Dr. Douglass Drossman, are repeatedly funded by the Government's National Institutes of Health (NIH) for their successful and promising research. Their site provides valuable patient information at: http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/public_education_materials.htm

In New York City, with Mount Sinai Medical Center, Dr. Charles Gerson (a GI doc) and Dr. Mary-Joan Gerson (psych) work together to treat IBS. Read about the approach here: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/76/90102.htm (NYC phone#: 212-496-6161 ; their website, with helpful IBS info: http://www.mindbodydigestive.com/)

*** It's important to get tested for all possible organic causes of abdominal pain. If you are over 40, or have a family history of colon/GI cancers you should be getting regular colonoscopies. There are non-invasive, 'virtual' options to do this sometimes! A day of discomfort, however, is better than a life of pain. Ask your doctor. ***

NOTE: Don't use online remedies. Don't get help from someone without being examined and treated by an MD... and in the future, find a better source for medical help than 'frumsupport' - there is nothing uniquely 'frum' about IBS, so don't limit your research. Visit a site like: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ or WebMD for more info on MD's in your area and the latest research.

Refuah Sh'lema
- A

Edited: 3/8/05 at 3:52 AM by AskADoctor

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

3/8/05 11:58 AM

Thanks for the great information, i'm gonna check it out!!

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

3/9/05 12:58 AM

in addition to using the IBS diet by HVV - which can be a life saver- (and women ruling out endo), something else to consider..can't believe i forgot!

there was a sdtudy a # of yrs ago at cedar sinai in CA that found that MANY with IBS (they first ruled out other conditions) had too much of a specific bacteria. they were then treated with a specific antibiotic and i believe had more than a 90% success rate. (like the idea of ulcers being caused by H. Pylori)

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

3/29/05 5:25 PM

Hey ya all,

i was just checking out a site and found these two sites that may be helpfull, i didn't check it out so I don't know but it may be worth it.

www.paulnison.com
www.rawlife.com

you can call this guy at 917-407-2270 he says he is healed from IBS for 10 years now.
his name is Paul Nison.
GOOD LUCK

Bottom

Stars N Sky
Supporter

6/8/05 12:42 PM

What is the core diffirence between all GI problems ? Can anyone explain this?

Refuah Shilaima.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

6/8/05 12:51 PM

Check out
webmd.com
and this website

Digestivewellness.com

feel good

i have crohns.
do u have something or u think u have something?

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

6/8/05 12:56 PM

check out medicinenet.com

Bottom

Stars N Sky
Supporter

6/8/05 1:22 PM

Thank You for the site refferals. I knows somenoe who struggles with chrons. i may have something and am trying to educate myself.

Refuah Shilaima.

Thank you

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

2/6/06 6:48 PM

hi -
I wish you well. I have been diagnosed with IBS for many years by now. It can be seasonal or brought on by stress or foods. I am a 3 out of 3 . I have had a flare up for the past week. I have been in bed and have cried through the days many times. What works by me unfortunately are painkillers. I usually stop eating just about everything but I know that certain foods are complete no-nos. It is a trial and error basis for each individual. I have tried all the meds that have just come out or that they took off the market and brought back on. Unfortunately the pain-meds are what keeps the cramping or horrible pain at bay. Make sure though that you do not get dehydrated or if you see blood then you MUST go to your doctor or ER, In time you will know your body and the different pains and you will know whether it is an IBS pain or something else. Good Luck and I wish you well - I truly know what you are going through.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/7/06 10:32 AM

frumi11

Hi, can i make suggestions?
actually first of all i wish you a refuah shlayma!

Now...
did you check out the website digestivewellness.com??
did you read elain gotshall's book?
did you see a kneiziologist( don't know how to spell it) ?
did you read Dr. Sarno's book?

i have done all of the above and boruch hashem on my back to being normal
medicine didn't help me either.
i hope this helps.
if you havn't seen one or more of the above,think about going.
if you have questions, ask!

Ray

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

2/8/06 12:58 PM

Hi Ray -
Your response brightened up my day. It has been day 9 since my flare-up. It is hard to be optimistic already. I push myself if not for me than for the sake of my husband and 3 children. I am scared that I will go through another flare-up like I did a fewyears ago which lasted for over a year with me in and out of the hospitals and on IV even at home.
I will start looking at what you gave my as suggestions. Thank you so much, you are very kind. Not many people truly understand what IBS is or how painful it can be. There is alot of pain and then one gets nervous which just adds to the pain it is a cycle.
Once again thank you so much,
Frumi11

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/8/06 3:55 PM

Dear Frumi11

I'm so glad to have brightened your day!!
If you live in The brooklyn area, there is a woman that sells the specific foods ready made so it's easier for us to be on the diet and be healthy. she sells them at cost price of the ingredients, it's like a gmach kinda thing. she has volunteers to make the food.
she has a list of good things to eat! try and eat chicken soup, light foods so your stomach can tolerate it.
let me know how it goes!

I hope t he recommendations I gave your are helpful.
they be a bit contradictary or confusing in the beginning but i found that after i sat down and compared and it REALLY helped me.

have a great day - night. and of course feel better.
BE strong.

Ray

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

2/10/06 11:09 AM

Hi Ray -
I live in Canada, but thank you for all your help. I know I must only have light foods. I have finally given up pasta ( I know I must be mad to have the pain and still eat all the wrong foods ) it had been awhile. The pain is still there and so are my painkillers, but I am trying my best. I am stopping to eat many foods already for example a bowl of cereal in the morning could send me keeling over in agony. I will look into that woman in Brooklyn. I have many family members there, so perhaps that will pan out. Have a good shabbos and thank you for helping me - many don't know what to do or how to help and think it is " all in my head already".
Frumi11

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/12/06 3:47 PM

frumi-
from the pain you described i would very highly reocmmend ruling out endometriosis, as ibs is usally a misdiagnosis for it in women. (though there really are not any very good drs for this in canada..so if you think you may have it, you can email on the womens board or contact me for further details..)
and I would STRONGLY recommend you check out the books by heather van borous...you can actually get most of the info online. she tells you not only what to eat, but also HOW to eat (how frequently, how much at a time etc)-it was a lifesaver for me, and i VERY QUICKLY had a drastic improvement in my symptoms. i went form being totally unable to eat almost anything and being curled up in bed to being rather functional and very little pain.
i can not recommend her info enough.

refuah sh'leima!

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

2/12/06 4:33 PM

hi Chani-
Thank you for your reply. I have ruled out endometriosis. It was one of the first things that my gastrio doc said I should rule out. As for not having good doctors in Canada - perhaps you have had bad experiences or know people that did, but I have top doctors and we DO have great hospitals etc. One can either go with medicare which has fantastic health care or opt out of it if the wait is too long. I have done both. I have paid for MRI's and with medicare have been in the emerg and been sent straight away for testing. Thank you once again - but remember it is Canada ans not a third world country ( smiling ).
I have started to check out your good recommendations.
Frumi11

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/13/06 1:47 PM

frumi-
good for your gastro!; unfortunatley many gastros don't know to rule it out.
i don't know what you did to r/o endo, but the only way to know for sure is with a lap. no other test can definitivley diagnose it. and the best surgeon in canada is dr. K Y Lie and, though he is good, his surgical skill does not compare to the best drs (drs. albee and sinervo of the Center for Endometriosis Care, dr. redwine of St. Charles Medical Center etc.) there are very few drs IN THE WORLD who are true experts in endo. only someone with the best surgical skill and expert training specifically in endo will not miss the diagnosis in some, as well as effectively permanently remove it. otherwise many drs do miss it (such as if a woman has clear lesions, microscopic lesions, only in the posterior cul-de-sac etc), and most have high recurrence rates b/c the burn off the top of the lesions with a laser(called ablation/cauterization) and don't cut it out (called excision). endo is NOT something that should be treated by your average gyn or RE. (btw- some good endo support groups to find out current endo info and dr info are the ERC group and WITSENDO.)
regardless, the IBS diet by heather van vorous can be VERY beneficial. I can not recommend it enough.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/13/06 3:53 PM

frumi11

i think that digestive diet ships to canada.
call them and find out.
digestivewellness.com

feel good

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

2/20/06 2:30 PM

I have not been able to do much lately by looking into your recommendations. The flare-up is still ongoing, and the pain is what I fight all day and night. I will go to it when I am able to.
Thank you

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/20/06 3:08 PM

feel better!!!!

Edited: 1/11/07 at 5:13 PM by Ray

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

3/26/06 12:34 AM

Endometriosis misdiagnosis 'lasts years'
Source: National Endometriosis Society
An extensive global survey of women with endometriosis reveals staggering delays in diagnosis.

Women with endometriosis often suffer years of pain before they are correctly diagnosed and treated, a global survey reveals.
Seven thousand women from 12 countries completed questionnaires between July 2004 and June 2005.
The results for the British women, which included almost half of the participants, show that, on average, it takes 8 years from the first visit to a general practitioner (GP) to the condition being correctly diagnosed. A mean of 3 years are suffered in silence before consultation with the GP.
Before the correct diagnosis was reached, more than two thirds (68 percent) of sufferers were diagnosed with conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (39 percent), and even depression and psychological pain (11 per cent).
The cost to careers, relationships, and quality of life is enormous, says the National Endometriosis Society, which published the results.
Almost 40 percent of respondents had been forced to give up work as a result of the condition, while 80 percent of those who stayed in work lost an average of 5.4 days' work a month.
In addition, almost three quarters (73 percent) said the illness had interfered with personal relationships with their partner or friends, or in their ability to look after children.

Bottom

tracht gut
Junior Supporter

3/27/06 12:37 AM

I too have IBS, but not as bad as some people here. I found on the internet that Fennel Tea helps. I tried it and it really works, stomach pains went away 10 minutes after I drank it and its great for the stomach swelling. Also, whenever I behave (no milk, no fried foods, no choccolte, no white flour)I feel good BH its only when I cheat.,...

Bottom

Chaya Surie
Senior Supporter

3/29/06 10:07 AM
User is offline View users profile

I checked out the site that askadoctor recommended. It explains exactly how IBS is diagnosed. Ruling out endometriosis was not listed there Endometriosis can only be ruled out through laparoscopy and subsequent pathology. This is because endometriosis is usually invisible upon MRI, ultrasounds, trans-vaginal ultrasounds and x-rays. If this website represents the diagnostic procedures used by top-notch GI doctors who are tuned in to the very latest in IBS research, then we have a big problem here. Women with IBS should be aware of the possibility that they may actually have endometriosis.

Bottom

matzoball48
Supporter

7/16/06 11:23 PM

HI I have IBS and I had it with constipation. since shavous I have lost six pounds due to diahhrea. I had a colonoscopy. I had a catscan of my abdomen and I had a lactose intolerance test. The doctor said it is just the IBS. however during the colonoscopy he took a biopsy and said my intestine was inflamed is this common with IBS? any solutions?

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

7/17/06 8:30 AM

in IBSyndrome the colon is NOT inflamed. i would see a different gastro..rule out any IBDisease.
fyi, magnesium (as well as stool softeners, but NOT with colace) can be very helpful for constipation.
refuah she'leima!

Edited: 7/17/06 at 8:31 AM by chanieF

Bottom

matzoball48
Supporter

7/24/06 11:41 PM

thaks I am going to see a different gastro on the 31st of july

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

7/28/06 4:14 PM
User is offline View users profile

My husband suffers from what appears to be IBS; he has spasms in his colon, meaning he cannot empty out properly when he goes to the bathroom. He needs to go a hundred time a day and it interferes terribly with his life. Any input?

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

7/30/06 12:37 AM

in response to downsyndrome:

1)if not done yet, he should go for testing to make sure there is nothing else going on.
2)keep track of how and what he eats. if it's truly IBS (and sometimes even for some IBD), the IBS diet by Heather Van Vorous is a LIFE-SAVER. and is not very hard to stick to. especially when you see you get results so quickly!

refuah sheleima

Bottom

matzoball48
Supporter

7/31/06 11:43 PM

isgusted
I went to visit a different gastroenterologist today and I am glad I did. He said the other doctor when he did my colonoscopy somehow missed the small intestine. He also said that inflammation is not a sign of IBS. He is starting with two things and if that doesn't work he will test me further. I have to do a blood test for celiac disease and he is starting me on an antiinflammatory pill because he said the inflammation can be something called microscopic colitis. any further info on these would be appreciated

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

8/1/06 8:20 PM

i'm so glad you saw another gastro! sounds like he's barking up the right tree! much hatzlacha!

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

10/15/06 11:19 PM

Hi - I was wondering if anyone has been suffering with their IBS due to the seasons changing? I am having a flare up once again which I would like to believe is due to the fall season. I know that I do get flare ups usually around this time as well as spring.

Bottom

Donald Duck
Supporter

3/8/07 9:32 AM

IBS ussually flares up when your stressted out. I never heard of it flaring up at diffrent seasons

-------------------------
D Duck

Bottom

frumi11
Junior Supporter

3/20/07 12:16 PM

Yes it does flare up by the seasons.. Usually during fall and spring.. This is common knowledge from doctors and gastrios as well.. smiling

Bottom

justso
Supporter

11/6/08 11:54 AM

Can you elaborate more on the seasonal connection. Any lit about this?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Gastroenterology > IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.